Al Marmoom Reserve
The Marmoom Reserve is the first desert sanctuary in the UAE that is not walled and open to the public. Within its 40 hectares, the country's largest plant life nursery exists. In time, it will include more than one million different species of local flora, helping to conserve the biodiversity of Dubai.
The Marmoom Reserve was created following the announcement by His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice president and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, that 10% of the Emirate of Dubai must be allocated as a natural reserve for local and migratory plants, animals and birds. It is just one of 20 projects aimed at attracting 1 million visitors a year.
As well as its plants, the reserve comprises more than 20 environmental, recreational, cultural and sporting projects, including 10 wildlife observation platforms, star-gazing facilities, yoga studios and an outdoor 350-seat theatre. In addition, the on-site Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Complex is the largest of its kind in the world with a capacity of 5000 megawatts planned by 2030.
The Learning Experience
Due to its diverse offerings, Marmoom Reserve is developing the abilities and skills of the youth generation both physically and culturally. The Marmoom Scout Project, which is the result of a collaboration between KHDA, Dubai Scout Commission and the Emirates Scouts Association, allows young scouts to earn various scouting badges and gain relevant skills and abilities within the Reserve’s unique natural environment.
Each badge scout’s earn are designed to compliment the purpose of the Marmoom Reserve and promote its purpose of environmental protection, wildlife and desert. Scouts leave the Reserve with the positive values of self-exploration and problem-solving skills.
Medals and Badges
- Al Marmoom Medal
This is the highest Scout Medal awarded in the name of the protectorate. To achieve this Medal, scouts must be awarded with the following badges:
- Obtaining Al Marmoum Scout Badge (contained in section II below)
- Obtaining 4 of the Environmental Hobby badges of the Marmoum Reserve (contained in section III below).
- Obtaining 4 of the badges of Al Marmoum activities (listed in section IV below).
- Al Marmoom Scout Badge
This badge is given to each scout who takes part in Al Marmoom activities. The badge is placed on the left sleeve of the scout shirt.
- Al Marmoom Environmental Hobby Badges
Requirements will be developed for scouts to obtain Environmental Hobby badges according to the age of the Scout. Badges include:
1. Desert Conservation Hobby badge
2. Marmoom Friend Hobby badge
3. Al Reem Ghazal Friend Hobby badge
4. Al Dhabb Friend Hobby badge
5. Friend of the Eagle Hobby badge
6. Al Maha Friend Hobby badge
7. Friend of the Birds Hobby badge
8. Al Ghaaf Friend Hobby badge
9. Friend of Oasis Hobby badge
- Al Marmoom Activity Badges
A set of badges will be awarded to all participants who complete Al Marmoom activities. These are:
1. Al Marmoom (awarded to all scout team members and people of determination)
2. Aviation badge in the Sky of Marmoom
3. Marmoom Camp Badge
4. Facebook Badge
5. Al Marmoom Radio Badge
6. Al Marmoom Friends around the World Badge
7. Environmental Observatory Badge
|April 2018||Management of protected areas workshop (for teachers)||Emirates Aviation University|
|October 2018||Introductory workshop during the Jota Joti Summit||Dubai Scouts Commission headquarters|
|November 2018||Sunrise/sunset trip (for private schools)||Al Marmoom|
|18, 19 and 20 December 2018||Al Marmoom Scout Camp II||Al Marmoom|
|January 2019||Scout Management||KHDA headquarters|
|Throughout academic year||Marmoom Cognitive Programme
(for students)||Dubai Scouts Commission headquarters|
To participate in the Al Marmoom Scout Project, please register here https://goo.gl/forms/Jndv6EUDLb7f4qWE2.
For further information, please contact Mr. Amro Sorour on email@example.com or call 04- 269 6960/056 910 7112.